Carrot & Pomegranate Salad
Updated: May 8, 2020
This salad is all things fresh and healthy, but the dressing adds a creamy bit of comfort, which makes you not feel cheated while eating such health! It's also a great salad to bring to a party. People will be instantly wow-ed. I promise!
300 g julienned carrots
50 g shallots-minced
2 celery stalks very thinly sliced
100 g pomegranate seeds (1 whole)
10 g chives-chopped
10 g parsley-chopped
150 g feta (optional)
50 g homemade mayonnaise (recipe below or used store bought)
10 g dijon mustard
1/2 lemon zested
20 ml lemon juice
For the mayonnaise... I am a big fan of making your own mayonnaise! Of course i cannot manage to do it all of the time but when I do it sits in my fridge for up to one week and by the it is pretty much gone. Its so easy to do, so give it a try if you want to!
1 egg yolk
1/4 of a lemon-juiced
1 1/2 t dijon mustard
250 ml sunflower oil or canola oil (an oil without flavor)
a splash of tarragon white wine vinegar if you want a fresh touch
1. First things first, the mayo. Get a medium sized bowl. Put a towel underneath it to help it stop spinning while you whisk, but it will still spin :()
2. Place the egg yolk and dijon in the bowl and mix well. The yolk should thin out the mustard and make a honey-mustard like consistency. If this step is not done, your sauce will never properly come together.
3. Slowly add half of the oil while whisking the whole time. (you can cheat if needed by pouring a little oil, then whisk till incorporated if you are desperate to make the bowl stop spinning. I'll understand. It drives me crazy too!) When half of the oil is used, add the salt and the lemon juice. Mix well, then continue with the oil till it's done.
4. Add the pepper carefully. You do not want it to be too peppery! Set aside.
5. Mix the carrots, celery, pomegranate seeds and shallots together in a smaller bowl.
6. Mix the dressing ingredients in a larger bowl and then add the salad ingredients to it. Add half of the herbs and mix to coat all of the ingredients.
7. Place the salad in a nice presentation bowl if desired. Then cover with the crumbled feta if desired and the rest of the herbs.
8. Eat it! Or show it to people first....LOL! Voilá!